Dr. Darshan Angadi is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon with experience in super-specialist procedures of the hip and knee joint including complex joint replacement, arthroscopic ligament reconstruction, and joint preservation. He performs a range of procedures with patient centered care using precision technologies like robotic-assisted, computer navigation and finite element implant simulation.
Following his medical graduation, he completed basic surgical training in the UK and undertook joint replacement research work between 2008 and 2010. His research work was awarded at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) in 2010.
Subsequently, in 2011, he was selected for the prestigious orthopedic training programme in Cambridge, UK. He was awarded the AO research grant in 2012 for biomechanical analysis of helical intramedullary implant and completed his MD from the University of Birmingham (UK) in 2017. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (UK) the same year and completed his specialist training (CCT) for consultant post in 2018.
He has worked in several centers of orthopaedic excellence across the globe during fellowship including Sydney (Australia), Vienna (Europe), and Cheltenham (UK). His research interests include implant biomechanics, hip and knee surgery and has authored several peer reviewed publications and book chapters in these areas.
Education & Qualifications
- MBBS – Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengaluru, India
- MRCS – The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- PGCE – University of Birmingham, UK
- FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics) – UK
- CCT (Trauma and Orthopaedics) – UK
- MD – University of Birmingham, UK
Areas of Expertise/Interest
- Hip and knee joint reconstruction and computer navigation / robotic-assisted joint replacement
- Arthritis management using biologicals like PRP for pain-free and natural joint function
- Arthroscopic procedures of knee joint for meniscal and cartilage pathologies
- Knee ligament reconstruction (primary and revision ACL / PCL / extra-articular)
- Osteotomy of knee joint using computer navigation
- Hip fracture management – arthroplasty / internal fixation procedures
Research & Publications
- ISAKOS Book: Infection in Knee Replacement - Intraarticular injection prior to joint replacement Angadi DS, Bolton C, Kandhari V, Coolican MJ. (Springer; 2022; ISBN 9783030815523)
- ISAKOS book: Specific Sports Related Injuries – Rugby Injuries Parker DA, Angadi DS. (Springer; 2021; ISBN 9783030663216.)
- Get Through MRCS Part A: SBAs, CRC Press. 2016. Angadi DS, Pawa N. (Ed.)
- Biomechanical analysis of femoral fracture fixation using the Expert adolescent lateral femoral nail system. e Theses Repository, University of Birmingham. 2017. Click to download
- Kocialkowski C, Angadi DS, Dodds A, Gosal H. Return to work after medial opening wedge high tibial osteotomy. Journal of Arthroscopy and Joint Surgery. 2021; 8:193-201
- Mukartihal RK, Angadi DS, Mangukiya HJ, Singh NK, Varad S, Ramesh PA, Patil SS. Temporal changes in sleep quality and knee function following primary total knee arthroplasty: a prospective study. Int Orthop. 2022 Feb;46(2):223-230.
- Angadi DS, Macdonald H, Atwal N. Autologous cell-free serum preparations in the management of knee osteoarthritis: what is the current clinical evidence? Knee Surgery & Related Research. 32, 16 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s43019-020-00036-5
- Angadi DS, Edwards D, Melton JTK. Calcium phosphate injection of symptomatic bone marrow lesions of the knee: what is the current clinical evidence? Knee Surgery & Related Research. 2019;32(1):4
- Elbashir M, Angadi DS, Latimer M. Paediatric Elbow: A Cross-sectional study of trochlea and olecranon ossification centres. Bone & Joint Journal Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement. 2017;99-B(SUPP 9):97-.
- Sim FC, Angadi D, Jarvis GE, Porteous M. Assessing clarity and erasability of commercially available pens for surgical site marking: a comparative study in human volunteers. Patient Saf Surg. 2016 Mar 18;10:11.
- Bloch B, Brown S, Angadi D, Crawfurd E. Long-term follow-up of a cemented titanium stem. Acta
- Orthop Belg. 2015 Jun;81(2):225-32.
- Angadi DS, Shepherd DE, Vadivelu R, Barrett T. Orthogonal Digital Radiographs - A Novel Template for a Paediatric Femur Finite Element Model Development. IFMBE Proceedings 46, 2015, 175-178.
- Gao L, Angadi DS, Coleman N. Lipoma arborescens of the knee: is it as benign as it sounds?. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2014; 25(1): 92-94.
- Angadi DS, Shepherd DE, Vadivelu R, Barrett T. Rigid intramedullary nail fixation of femoral fractures in adolescents: what evidence is available? J Orthop Traumatol. J Orthop Traumatol. 2014 Sep;15(3):147-53.
- Rawal J, Barksfield R, Angadi DS, Pasapula C. Overcorrection of the inter-metatarsal angle in corrective hallux valgus osteotomy leads to an increase in intra-articular pressures of the 1st metatarsal-phalangeal joint: a biomechanical simulation. Bone & Joint Journal Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement. 2013;95-B(SUPP 1):62-.
- Barksfield R, Rawal J, Angadi DS, Bowden B, Chojnowski A. Clinical outcomes following operative management of dorsal fracture dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint in the hand. Bone & Joint Journal Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement. 2013;95-B(SUPP 1):86.
- Angadi DS, Brown S, Crawfurd EJ. ‘Cemented polyethylene and cementless porous-coated acetabular components have similar outcomes at a mean of seven years after total hip replacement: A prospective randomised study.’ J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Dec;94(12):1604-10.
- Angadi DS, Garde A. ‘Subclinical neuropathy in diabetic patients: a risk factor for bilateral lower limb neurological deficit following spinal anesthesia?’ J Anesth. 2012 Feb; 26(1):107-10.
- Bloch B, Angadi DS, Brown S, Crawfurd E. A prospective long term study of a cemented titanium (Ulitima) femoral stem. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume. 2012;94-B(SUPP XXXIX):10-.
- Angadi DS, Blanco J, Garde A, West SC. ‘Lower limb elevation - useful and effective technique of exsanguination prior to knee arthroscopy.’ Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010 Nov; 18(11):1559-61.
- Angadi DS, Nagappa S, Simpson D, Morgan I. ‘Streptococcus subpectoral abscess with shoulder pain – a rare emergency with a common symptom?’ Int J Shoulder Surg. 2010 Jan; 4(1):22-3.
- Yousef A, Angadi DS, Chari RC. ‘Home surveillance of leaking wounds with serosanguinous discharge after hip and knee arthroplasty’ J Wound Care. 2008 Jul; 17(7):289-91.
- Angadi. DS, Vadivelu. R, Deshmukh. R.G. ‘Hip fracture patients and post-operative hyponatraemia- the Boston experience’. Injury Extra. 2007 Jan; 38(1):11.
- Angadi DS, Jagasia N, Fairbrother BJ, Rampaul R. ‘Conservative management of perineal hernia’.Hernia. 2007 Apr; 11(2):205.
- Angadi DS, Rampaul RS, Akthar I, Makdhoomi K. ‘Bilateral muscle hernias of the anterior tibial muscle’. Foot Ankle Int. 2007 Apr; 28(4):520.
- Angadi DS, Vadivelu R, Qadir W. ‘Triceps Tendon Avulsion – an uncommon injury in kite-surfers’. A case report and review of the literature. The Journal of Orthopaedic Medicine, 2006; 28:72- 73.
- Mukartihal R, Angadi DS, Patil SS, Gurava Reddy AV, Bose VC, Pichai S, Rajasekaran S, Rajkumar N, Dhanasekararaja P Delayed and late prosthetic joint infections following total knee replacement: a multicenter study of fifteen thousand patients British Orthopaedic Association Congress 2021
- Angadi DS, Coolican M ‘Functional and radiological outcomes of three tibial component fixation techniques: results of prospective randomised controlled trial’ British Association for Surgery of the Knee Annual and Combined Orthopaedic Knee Societies Meeting, 2020
- Kandhari V, Angadi DS, Myat D, Fritsch B, Parker D, Coolican M ‘Long term survivorship outcomes and clinical outcomes of navigated lateral opening wedge distal femoral osteotomy for osteoarthritis of lateral compartment of knee’ British Orthopaedic Association Congress 2020
- Angadi DS, Fleming T, Atwal N, Gosal H ‘Prospective evaluation of functional and radiological outcomes of arthroplasty for patellofemoral arthritis’ 79th Australian Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting, 2019
- Seewoonarain S, Angadi DS, Martin C ‘The use of Prothrombin Complex Concentrate (PCC) in hip fracture patients’. Annual Audit Symposium, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2016.
- Angadi DS, Shepherd DE, Vadivelu R, Barrett T ‘Adolescent Femoral Fracture Fixation with Lateral Trochanteric Entry Rigid Helical Intramedullary Nail - A Biomechanical Evaluation’. XXV Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics, 2015
- Elbashir M, Angadi DS, Latimer M. Paediatric Elbow: A Cross-sectional study of trochlea and olecranon ossification centres. European Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, 2015
- Angadi DS, Shepherd DE, Vadivelu R, Barrett T. ‘Rigid Helical Intramedullary Nail Fixation of Paediatric Femur Fractures - A Biomechanical Evaluation’. 16th EFORT Congress, 2015
- Angadi DS, Shepherd DE, Vadivelu R, Barrett T ‘Orthogonal digital radiographs - a novel template for paediatric femur finite element model development’. 5th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, 2014
- Bakersfield R, Rawal J, Angadi DS, Bowden B, Chojnowski A. ‘Clinical outcomes following operative management of dorsal fracture dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint in the hand.’ British Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress, 2012.
- Rawal J, Barksfield R, Angadi DS, Pasapula C. ‘Overcorrection of the inter-metatarsal angle in corrective hallux valgus osteotomy leads to an increase in intra-articular pressures of the 1st metatarsal-phalangeal joint: a biomechanical simulation’. British Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress, 2012.
- Angadi DS, Brown S, Crawfurd E.J.P. ‘A prospective long term study of a cemented titanium femoral stem.’ 12th EFORT Congress, 2011.
- Angadi DS, Crawfurd EC. ‘A prospective randomised study of cemented all-polyethylene versus uncemented porous coated acetabular components’. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual Congress, 2010.
- Angadi DS, Brown S, Crawfurd EC. ‘Cemented all-polyethylene cups versus uncemented porous coated cups - 10 year results of prospective randomised study.’ 11th EFORT Congress, 2010.
- Angadi DS, Vadivelu R, Deshmukh R.G. ‘Hip fracture patients and post-operative hyponatraemia- the Boston experience’. British Trauma Society and Hellenic Orthopaedic Meeting, 2005.
- Angadi DS, Vadivelu R, Deshmukh R.G. ‘Hyponatraemia in proximal femoral fractures’. Indian Orthopaedic Association, Golden Jubilee Meeting, 2005.
- Coolican M, Angadi DS, Kandari V ‘Prospective Randomised Controlled Trial Of Three Tibial Component Fixation Techniques: Medium To Long Term Functional And Radiological Outcomes’ International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) Global Congress 2021
- Mukartihal R, Angadi DS, Ramesh PA, Singh NK, Mangukiya HJ, Agrawal B, Patil SS ‘Temporal changes in sleep quality and knee function following unilateral and bilateral total knee arthroplasty: a prospective study’ International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) Global Congress 2021
- Muellner T, Raje AD, Angadi DS ‘Correlation between the tibial cutting guide/Jig and tibial resections in total knee arthroplasty: a prospective study’ European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA) Speciality Days, 2019
- Angadi DS, Shepherd DE, Vadivelu R, Barrett T ‘Development and validation of a paediatric femur finite element model using orthogonal digital radiographs’. 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, 2014.
- Angadi DS, Damany D, Farrar MJ. ‘Coblation for noninsertional Achilles tendonopathy’ British Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress, 2012
- Yousef A, Angadi DS, Chari R. ‘A prospective study on home surveillance of wounds with serosanguinous discharge following hip and knee arthroplasty. 8th EFORT Congress, 2007.
- Miller FRCS Course (Oxford, UK) - International trauma and orthopaedic surgeons
- East of England Deanery (Cambridge, UK) - Trauma and orthopaedic specialty trainees
- New South Wales Health District (Sydney, Australia) – Nursing and allied health staff
- Sports Knee Instructional Course, Watford, UK, 2018
- Advanced Trauma Life Support, Cambridge, UK 2018
- Knee Osteotomy Masterclass, Basingstoke, UK 2017
- Exeter Hip Arthroplasty, Birmingham, UK 2009
- Challenging Cases in Knee Arthroplasty, Bolton, UK 2009
- Knee Arthroscopy – Knee Foundation, Droitwich Spa, UK 2007
- Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patients (CCriSP), Ipswich, UK 2006
- AO Principles of Operative Fracture Treatment, Dubai, 2006
- Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) – Clinical Fellowship in Arthroplasty, Sports Reconstructive Surgery and Complex trauma AOA accredited fellowship at Royal North Shore Hospital & Royal Prince Alfred Hospital affiliated to University of Sydney under the guidance of Dr Myles Coolican, Dr David Parker and Dr Brett Fritsch. Extensive sub-specialty surgical training in knee robotic joint replacements, sports injuries and complex knee trauma.
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery & Arthroscopy (ESSKA) – Clinical Fellowship in Sports Reconstructive Surgery, Complex Primary and Revision Arthroplasty ESSKA accredited fellowship at Evangelisches Krankenhaus Wien, Vienna under the guidance of Prof Thomas Müllner. Surgical training in complex arthroscopy, primary and revision arthroplasty and custom-design implants.
- Cheltenham General Hospital, UK - Clinical Fellowship in Joint Preservation, Soft Tissue Knee and Ligament Reconstruction, Complex Knee Arthroplasty Comprehensive fellowship under guidance of Mr H Gosal and N Atwal covering joint preservation techniques, soft tissue knee reconstruction, osteotomy, unicompartmental, bicompartmental and patellofemoral arthroplasty.
- Sydney Orthopaedic Research Institute – Research Fellowship in Robotic-assisted Arthroplasty, Sports Reconstructive Surgery and Computer-navigation Osteotomy. Extensive orthopaedic research experience through database setup for robotic-assisted arthroplasty, analysis of total knee arthroplasty implants, rehabilitation following knee ligament surgery, management of complex sports injuries and return to sport protocol evaluation.
- University of Birmingham - Research Fellowship in Implant Biomechanics.Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen (AO) – UK funded research fellowship for MD degree evaluating the biomechanical features of helical intramedullary implant using synthetic bone model and finite element analysis
- P D Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre – Travelling Fellowship with Dr S Agarwala in Mumbai, India
- Leelavati Hospital – Travelling fellowship with Dr R Manihar in Mumbai, India