Posted on : 10/03/2022 Views : 140
Understanding Laminectomy Surgery: Why do you need it?
Are you suffering from long-standing back pain? Back pain is often caused by a problem with the way your spinal joints, muscles, discs, and nerves connect and move. Sometimes due to narrowing of the spinal canal or because of nerve compression within the canal, it can cause unbearable back pain.
There are multiple spinal procedures that can relieve the pain like Laminectomy or open decompression surgery. After this surgery, the nerve will gain more space to accommodate within the canal. Hence, it will reduce your back pain. If your doctor has suggested you do the same, then you are on the right page. In this blog, the best neurologist in Jayanagar, from our expert panel will answer all your queries.
Understanding laminectomy procedure-
A laminectomy is a surgical procedure in which a flat part of the spinal bone(vertebra) is removed (lamina). Injury, herniated discs, narrowing of the spinal canal(spinal stenosis), or tumors can put pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots, which can be relieved with this procedure.
Why do you need laminectomy?
Laminectomy is considered when all other medical treatments like medications, physiotherapy have failed. Your surgeon may consider laminectomy as a treatment option,
- If you are suffering from chronic neck pain, back pain that can restrict your everyday actions.
- To treat a herniated disc (a damaged disc can press on the nerve, causing pain or numbness)
- To remove a tumor of spine
- To treat other spinal problems
- To treat sciatica
- If you have osteoarthritis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Or to treat bony spur or projections over the spine which may cause the swallowing symptoms like-
- Difficulty in walking.
- Inability to control bowel and bladder movements
- Leg weakness and a loss of sensation
How do you prepare for laminectomy surgery?
Before undergoing the surgery, you need to -
- Make sure your doctor knows all of your past and present medical history as well.
- If you have any allergies or are taking any herbal supplements, you should let them know.
- If you're taking any medications, especially blood thinners like aspirin or NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxen, talk to your doctor about stopping or reducing the dose you're taking before surgery, if your doctor recommends it.
- If you're anemic, you should start taking iron supplements before surgery.
- Oral contraceptive pill (OCP) users should cease taking it at least one month before surgery.
- 6 hours before the procedure, do not eat or drink anything.
- Before surgery, make sure you're dressed comfortably.
- Do not take any medicines on your own.
- Before the surgery, avoid a strict diet and instead opt for a well-balanced, healthful meal. It will assist you in recovering rapidly after surgery.
What can you expect after the laminectomy surgery?
As per our expert practicing in the best neurology hospital in Bangalore, your medical personnel will shift you in the recovery room after the surgery. There they will check all your vitals including pulse, blood pressure. You may have to undergo some routine check-up and blood work. After going through all your test reports, your doctor will transfer you to the hospital room.
You may have to stay for a day or two after laminectomy surgery, based on your overall health condition.
How long does it take for complete recovery from such surgeries?
- If you have undergone laminectomy for spinal decompression, you may have to wait for two to four months before you get back to work.
- You may be unable to bend for two to three months,
- and lifting heavy objects is strictly prohibited.
- After the surgery, your doctor will recommend that you begin light walking and physiotherapy under supervision for a few days to ensure a quick recovery.
- It may take six weeks or longer for your back pain to subside after surgery.
Benefits of laminectomy surgery?
- It will help in
- Neural tissue decompression
- Improved leg function
- Easy movement without any pain
Do you need physical rehabilitation after laminectomy surgery?
As suggested by our panel of neurologists from the best hospital in Bangalore, some patients may need physical therapy after the surgery to resume walking, flexing, and the leg function. Our medical personnel will let you know whether you need physical rehab or not. If yes, they will guide you through the process. If not, you can directly get back to home.
Conclusion- if your doctor has suggested laminectomy surgery for your spinal issues and you want to get a second opinion from our experts in the best neurology hospital, you can contact us.