Posted on : 10/06/2022 Views : 289
Gamma Knife Radiosurgery: All You Need To Know
Gamma knife radiosurgery is considered one of the safest and most advanced treatment procedures for treating brain lesions and tumors inside the brain. This can be helpful while accessing the most inaccessible sites in your brain. That too, painlessly! Our experts, practicing at the best hospital in Jayanagar, have discussed the procedure in brief. Keep reading to know more.
Understanding Gamma Knife Radiosurgery:
Gamma Knife surgery is a method of treating brain tumors, vascular malformations, and other brain disorders that uses radiation and computer-guided planning. This treatment, contrary to its name, does not involve any incisions, not even skin incisions. The Gamma knife is a treatment that uses highly focused radiation beams.
How do I prepare for gamma knife radiosurgery?
- Ask your surgeons any and all questions you have about the procedure, and get all of your concerns addressed.
- Make sure your doctor is aware of all of your medical history, both past, and present.
- You should also tell them if you have any allergies or if you use herbal supplements.
- If you are taking any medications, especially blood thinners such as aspirin or NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or naproxen, you should contact your doctor and discontinue or reduce the dosage of those medications as prescribed.
- If you are anemic, you should begin taking iron supplements right away.
- Eat or drink nothing for at least 6 hours before the procedure.
- Before surgery, make sure you're dressed comfortably.
- Instead of a strict diet before the procedure, opt for a well-balanced, healthful dinner. It will help you recover quickly after surgery.
Your surgeon will consider the following factors before the procedure:
- Neurological examination
- MRI scans and CT scans are examples of imaging tests.
- Cerebrospinal Fluid Examination
- An angiogram in which the aneurysm seems to be a berry in the stem.
- An X-ray of the skull
After lab results and a medical evaluation establish that you require brain surgery, your surgeon or medical personnel will counsel you and your family on the dos and don'ts before the procedure.
Why do you need to undergo such surgery?
Most brain problems that are treatable with standard surgery can be easily treated with gamma knife surgery.
- Brain tumors, both primary and secondary
- Trigeminal neuralgia.
- A-V malformations
- Parkinson's disease-related tremors or convulsions
Benefits of gamma knife surgery over traditional surgery
There are numerous advantages to having this operation.
- The operation will be painless for the patient because it will be performed under the influence of a local anesthetic.
- There is no need for general anesthesia.
- There are no incisions required.
- Multiple lesions or tumors can be easily operated on at the same time.
- It is directed at the diseased area and can restrict the influence of radiation on the surrounding area.
- It has no effect on the healthy tissues that surround it.
- After surgery, the patient experiences significantly reduced pain and discomfort.
- There is a lower chance of infection, bleeding, and other problems.
Side effects associated with gamma surgery
As per our experts from the best hospital in Jayanagar, though the following side effects are uncommon, patients may experience mild to moderate headaches following surgery.
- A tingling sensation on the scalp
- Brain enlargement
- Hair loss may occur if the tumor or lesion is located near the scalp area.
In addition, if you have a high temperature or any other strange symptoms, you should contact your surgeon immediately. We will assist you in this endeavor.
The Gamma Knife Radiosurgery is a highly accurate surgical procedure with few or no postoperative problems. Even after that, if you have any questions about the cost of brain tumor surgery, you can consult our best surgeons in Jayanagar. We are always here to help you since our collaboration with skilled doctors allows us to provide high-quality therapy to you and your family.