Posted on : 02/02/2022 Views : 17
Total Knee Replacement Surgery: When is ideal time for getting one?
How are your knees these days? Is it aching while walking your dog? Are you worried about your knee pain and have tried all the home remedies? Still not getting results! Then you should consult your doctor right away. Your doctor may refer you to an orthopedic surgeon if the pain or discomfort does not improve with time. He or she might suggest you have knee replacement surgery. This will assist you to manage your discomfort and live a more productive life. In this blog, we will discuss the procedure, when should you opt for the surgery, and many more. Let's hear it out from the professionals practicing at one of the best hospitals in Bangalore.
Understanding the procedure- Total Knee Replacement
As per the experienced panel of knee replacement doctors in Bangalore, Total Knee Replacement(TKR) should be considered as a last resort treatment option for end-stage severe arthritis. This will correct the worn-out surfaces and help to maintain the normal function of the knee joint. The damaged and diseased part of your knee is removed and replaced with prosthetic components during knee replacement surgery. To make room for the new prosthetic components, the damaged region of the knee is shaved away. During a knee replacement, the joints or bone ends of the knee are relined with prosthetic components.
Why should you get total knee replacement surgery?
A total knee replacement can
- Improve the quality of life, like walking, jogging, running
- It helps in an increased range of motion
- Improved alignment of joints
- Reduced pain and swelling
- It can reduce the stiffness
- It will reduce the need for support while walking.
When is the ideal time for getting a total knee replacement surgery?
While it varies from person to person, the doctor suggests that the following factors be considered:
- It must be done when knee problems severely limit one's ability to function.
- Bone loss and muscle atrophy occur before significant deformity.
- Prior to surgery in patients with one good knee, so that it is not harmed by the poor one.
- When general mobility and strength are good, this procedure has a higher value. It's pointless to put off surgery until one is too old.
- Do it before additional age-related illnesses prevent us from going through with the procedure.
- Patients with deformity and joint instability should have surgery sooner rather than later.
- Any disease that predisposes to faster joint wear and strain should be treated early.
What are the after-knee-replacement-surgery instructions to follow?
- Doing a lot of cardio or lifting a lot of weights is not a good idea.
- Try to stay away from strenuous physical activity.
- Squatting should be avoided.
- Make use of the western toilet.
- Sitting on the floor with your legs crossed is not a good idea during this time.
What can you expect after a successful knee replacement surgery?
- To regain your previous mobility after knee replacement surgery, you must attend physiotherapy on a regular basis.
- After the first few weeks of your knee replacement surgery, you should start a graduated walking program. You can start with in-bed activity within 24 hours of surgery.
- After 24 hours, the drains should be withdrawn, the dressing size reduced, and you should be able to stand at the bedside with one leg supported.
- After 2-3 days of surgery, you should stand and take a slow walk to the restroom with help.
- At this time, you should use a western toilet with a high seat.
- After about 14 days, all of the stitches are removed.
- After 21 days, you should use a cane or a stick to help you walk.
- The patient can begin climbing the stairs after 4-6 weeks.
What are the conditions that require total knee replacement surgery?
- Severe pain and inflammation around the joint
- History of injury at the knee joint
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Structural deformity of knees like bend knee or knock knees
- Unbearable knee pain that restricts daily activities and hampers your quality of life.
How to prepare yourself before the surgery?
Crutches or a walker may be required for many weeks following the treatment. Make arrangements for your transportation to home from the hospital in advance, and offer assistance with daily duties such as cooking, bathing, and laundry. If you live alone, you can also ask for a temporary caregiver to any of your surgeon’s staff.
Consider making the following changes to make your home safer and easier to manage during your recovery:
- Install a secure handrail or safety bars in your shower or bath.
- Handrails should be installed on all of your stairwells.
- Get a sturdy chair with a solid seat cushion and back, as well as a footstool to raise your leg.
Conclusion- if you are also suffering from the same and your surgeon has suggested you go for a total knee replacement, do not delay. As recommended by the experts offering total knee replacement in Bangalore, delayed surgery can diminish the surgical outcome. Many patients delay or push their appointments for treating their joint and bone disorders throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, which proved to be far more harmful.