Posted on : 02/04/2022 Views : 491
When Should You Resume Exercise After Varicose Vein Surgery?
If you have undergone or fixed your appointment to get the varicose vein surgery done, you might think about when you can start your exercise regimen after surgery. As per our expert practicing varicose vein removal surgery in Bangalore, the treatment outcome and timeline may vary based on the aftercare of your veins. Leading an active lifestyle is important for maintaining your treated veins in a healthy state. Whether its the type of workout or the duration of the same, you will get all answers in this blog. Continue reading to learn more.
When can you start doing workouts after surgery?
Depending on the technique, resuming exercise can take anywhere from a few days to a week.
- Ambulatory phlebectomy, for example, necessitates the use of stitches to close small wounds. Strenuous exercise in this situation may reopen the wound, delaying the healing process.
- Your vein specialist would have injected a safe solution into the vein during sclerotherapy, another frequent procedure for removing spider and varicose veins. Despite the fact that sclerotherapy does not require incisions, it does necessitate the application of pressure to the vein during the healing phase. Following sclerotherapy, you'll need to wear compression stockings and refrain from exercising for five to seven days.
- Assume you've had endovenous laser ablation or radiofrequency ablation, which both employ heat to seal the vein. If this is the case, you should wait a few days to a week before exercising again, as there may be bruising or swelling.
However, before starting any workout regimen consult your doctor. They will examine your recovery and can recommend the best for you. They may perform an ultrasound to determine whether the vein has healed or not. This way they can also rule out the chances of developing a blood clot.
What are the exercises that you can try on doing after surgery?
However, after any surgery, remaining absolutely motionless is never a good idea. Although you should avoid intense activity, modest exercise at home can aid in the healing process.
- Start with low-impact aerobic workouts to ease back into your fitness program following surgery. The calf muscles will be engaged while walking an elliptical bike, which will assist pump blood into the leg veins.
- Low-impact exercise can help with post-surgery discomfort and blood clot prevention. In fact, your doctor may urge that you take a 30-minute walk right after the treatment and continue walking for an hour each day as you heal.
- You should avoid doing high-intensity workouts like cross leg, squat, lunge, and all those that can put pressure on your veins.
- Try to avoid gym training too. You can consult with your fitness trainer and let them know about your condition.
- Once your veins heal from the surgical procedure, your doctor will allow you to resume the exercise regimen.
For how long can you continue your workout sessions?
Try maintaining a phased exercise regimen with 5-10 mins first. As you will get better with time, you can increase the duration gradually. Avoid pushing your body too much during this time.
What can you do for early recovery?
Follow the below-mentioned tips for an early recovery from varicose vein surgery.
- You can expect minor bruising and swelling around the area. Treat those with an ice pack,
- Elevating your leg over a pillow might also help in this scenario.
- Compression stockings will put a gentle pressure and thus promote blood flow to the surgical area.
- Over-the-counter medications can also reduce the swelling and pain you feel after surgery.
- Try to walk and lead an active lifestyle after surgery. This will not only help in faster healing but also prevent the new varicose veins from developing.
Can you fly after getting varicose vein surgery?
As suggested by our experts in endoscopic vein surgery in Jayanagar, do not fly for at least 3 weeks after surgery. If any major concerns are there related to your surgery, a fly during this period may aggravate the situation.
Your doctor will check with ultrasound after 2-3 weeks of surgery. Let your doctor know about your flight journey, so they can address any complications after surgery (if there are any).
Conclusion- if you are suffering from the same, you can reach out to our panel of best doctors in Bangalore and get yourself treated. And we will guide you towards an early recovery.